Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Orange - Sometimes I want to put my heart on a string

I saw the movie For Colored Girls yesterday and to say the least I was inspired!  I decided I'm going to try to write a poem inspired by or based on each of the 8 colors (main characters) in the movie.  I read the play many moons ago and I loved it then and I love the movie now.  I think Tyler Perry did an amazing job with the content of the play.  There's been a lot of controversy surrounding the remake of this classic piece, BUT, I'm please and was touched by the all star cast and their sincere performances.  It is a must see. And hopefully my poems are a must read.

Here is a lil something I wrote inspired by Tangie (Orange) from Tyler Perry's For Colored Girls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes I want to put my heart on a string
So I can pull it back from you when you squeeze too hard

Sometimes I want to put my mind in my heart
So that I can stop the feelings of extreme love

Sometimes I wonder why I hurt
When all I want to do is love

Sometimes I wish the world were on string
And I stood here alone

Sometimes I want to put my heart on a string
And dangle it in front of you, taunting your mind

Sometimes I want to put my heart on a string
And dance it, slowly, before your eyes

Sometimes I want to put my heart on a string
So you think it’s yours to keep

Sometimes I want to put my heart on a string
And leave it in the middle of the floor

Sometimes I wish that many men would stand far and wide
And like a tiger devouring flesh, my heart they wanted inside

But since my heart is on a string
It’s controlled by mine two hands

I’ll let you know if you can touch it
Or if you leave it where it stands

Sometimes I wish I had control over all things
But then my mind would explode

Sometimes I wish I knew now what I knew then
The past yet to unfold

Most times I wear my heart on a string
Dangling behind me as I stroll

The last time I wore my heart on a string
My belly, it did swole

But with a bit of bourbon, and a dark room of smoke
My belly did swole no more

I wish I could wear my heart on a string
Drag it too and fro

I wish I could wear my heart on a string
I would never let it go

But since my heart is just a part of me
With each new pain I groan

One day I’ll wear my heart on a string
Before I get too old

Sometimes I want to put my heart on a string
For reasons yet untold

I do not own any rights to this photo.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

as always .....comment.....discuss.....let's start a dialog.....peace n blessings.....

6 comments:

  1. Eve a.k.a past exotic, passing through to say i love what you write and keep doing what your doing!!
    ...I love how you managed to make this so poignantly beautiful, yet so sad...
    LOL...what's wierd is ...i dont know if i felt sad for her, reading this poem...or for myself because i feel like when it comes to relationships i can relate...
    wow...deep...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much girl! Some parts are inspired by my own experience...some from Tangie....some imagined....I think most of us can relate to a line or two in this one....lovin you sistar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, this is so good. I love it. Man it's powerful. Tyler needs to hit you up for real. This movie inspired me as well. maybe i will send my stuff to you once i get something together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ 2strong2bad - thank you so much. I appreciate you taking a few to read my work. I'd love to read your stuff...so please send it along whenever you get a chance... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i havent seen the movie yet but this is great writing! and you're right i think everyone can relate with a line or two. nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Natalie! I've just started a lil challenge to write a poem for each main character (color) of the movie.....so check back for more.....appreciate your feedback! :)

    ReplyDelete